Finally! Virginia was blessed with gorgeous weather today, which in turn put everyone in a great mood! So when the sun is shining and you have shrimp in your freezer, what does that mean? TIME TO GRILL! My boyfriend grills shrimp all the time, it’s one of our favorite ways to eat it, but I’ve never actually thought to put that shrimp in a taco. Once I had that realization I had to go explore Pinterest for a grilled shrimp recipe. Though I didn’t end up finding one that I wanted to recreate I did find this cilantro lime sour cream that I just had to try (courtesy of Life’s Ambrosia). So my sunny happy attitude and I made our way to the grocery store to pick up what was needed and then back home to fire up the grill. All I can say is have I been living under a rock my whole life?? These shrimp tacos were so delicious and probably the quickest meal I’ve ever made. I give 50% of the credit to the boyfriends’ superior grilling skills and the other 50% goes to the sour cream cilantro spread I made for this!
I’m sure we’ve all slapped a glob of sour cream on our tacos before (with the exception of those who are allergenic or who just don’t like that white heavenly goodness) and to us it probably added the right amount of flavor we needed. Well I’m here to tell you don’t settle with basic sour cream!! Take a few more ingredients (5 to be exact) and make this savory sour cream cilantro spread that will leave your taste buds going crazy. After my boyfriend and I were done eating our tacos all we could do was stare at each other in disbelief that we’d never tried making this before. Needless to say we’ve already planned to make this again over the weekend (that is if Mother Nature doesn’t hit us with random snow showers again).
- ½ lb. Shrimp
- Lemon pepper (found mine at Trader Joes)
- Sea Salt
- Mrs. Dash salt-free garlic & herb seasoning
- 1/3cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 tsp. Ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Medium sized lime
- Salt to taste
- Small flour tortillas
Sour cream cilantro spread
- Place sour cream, cumin, chopped cilantro, juice of the lime, and some salt in a bowl and mix all together – set aside
- Shred lettuce and chop up the avocado – set aside
Grilling the shrimp
- Let shrimp soak in olive oil for about 30 minutes
- Place shrimp on skewers and season with lemon pepper, sea salt, and Mrs. Dash salt-free garlic & herb seasoning
- Place shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for about 6 minutes total (after 3 minutes flip skewers over). You’ll know they’re ready when you see those nice grill marks
- If desired heat up your tortillas
- In your tortilla place a few shrimp, avocado, lettuce and a spoonful of sour cream cilantro spread
- Wrap up the tortilla and enjoy!
You can add anything you’d like to your tacos, I tried to keep mine minimal so that I could really taste the sour cream cilantro spread! Next time I may try throwing in some chopped up red onions and tomatoes, but honestly I wouldn’t change anything about this recipe. It was so easy to whip together and the flavors from the grilled shrimp mixed with the spread complimented each other perfectly!